Dr Kurt Brereton has taught various art and communication courses across universities (UTS, UOW, USC),
TAFEs, regional and community galleries together with a number of artist-in-schools programs
(such as Gymea High School) over the last 40 years.
Included below is a sample program for Professional Practice for Visual Artists and a link to
Critical Methods designed for artists to analyse art.
Professional Practice Series for Artists
A series of practical workshops to help artists establish themselves as professionals.
• setting up a studio
• Planning a work schedule
• resources needed
• creating a portfolio
• writing a bio, artist statements
• approaching exhibition venues
• curatorial issues, hanging a show
* PR, advertising, web exposure, social media, traditional media, invites, openings
• research, applying for grants, residencies, pop up galleries, crowd funding
• selling your work, pricing, negiotiating with buyers, dealers, collectors
• group shows, solo shows
• archiving your work, storing your work
• following up sales
Web resources/links - enter